Sep 5, 2008

My checkbook is suffering!

I have decided that moving to a new town is very dangerous for my checkbook. This town is so awesome, and there's so much to do. I keep seeing all these cool restaurants and bars that I want to try, and I'm meeting and getting to know new people, all of which generally combine to = spending way too much money. Don't get me wrong, it's so much fun, but this kind of lifestyle does not suit a grad student's budget. Not to mention it's been hard on my body to adjust to the new heavy-on-alcohol, light-on-sleep student lifestyle that I've been away from for a year.

Basically my big problem is that this week alone I've spent all my spending money for both this week and next week combined! I know I should start saying no a little more often to balance things out, but it's hard when you are with a new group of people. If you keep saying no, they will stop asking you eventually, which I definitely don't want to happen. Hopefully things will calm down a little bit once the heavy studying kicks in later in the semester.

3 comments:

Canadian Saver said...

You'll find a happy medium soon I'm sure :-) Enjoy making new friends!

SavingDiva said...

I'm in a similar situation. All of the other students wanted to eat out every day for lunch. Now, there is a group of us that packs our lunches and eats outside the building. It's nice because we don't have to wait in line for 40 minutes, pay $7 for a sandwich, and eat standing up because all of the tables are gone.

Try proposing cheaper/free options. Frisbee in the park....Potluck BBQ...pizza, beer & a movie...

JR Moreau said...

I agree with CS, the happy equilibrium will eventually find its way. The friends worth having will realize spending money isn't necessarily synonymous with having fun.