Jan 10, 2010

How did I do in 2009?

Well, speaking frankly, 2009 was a pretty shitty year for me. A lot of personal and family problems and hurdles to overcome, so I'm def not sad to see it go. I'm so hoping that the next year will be better. But first, I should review the goals I made last year at this time, and finally put 2009 to rest.

Goal 1. Learn to live within my grad student budget: I think I have more or less been able to do this well. I rarely have to dip into my EF for everyday-type expenses anymore. Having my rent cut by almost 300 bucks really helps with this.
Goal 2. Add an extra $1,000 to my Travel Fund: No... big fail on this one. I actually took money OUT to help pay for my new car. Which brings me to...
Goal 3. Bring my New Car Fund up to $3,000: Again, no. But I did buy my new car, so that means this fund is now more or less obsolete. I gotta think of something new to start saving for now.
Goal 4. Refund my Emergency Fund: Well, yes and no. When the Thompson scholarship came in this summer, I filled the EF back out to a good level... and then drained it again buying furniture for my new place, paying car insurance bills, and doctor appointment bills that my insurance won't cover. So now it's back at dangerously low levels again.

Well, the goals I made for myself didn't quite pan out, but then again, I'm not too depressed about it. A lot can happen in a year. I mean, in January I never thought in a million years I'd get to buy a new car, so all the planning I did then didn't quite map up to real life. It's not going to stop me from making new goals though for this year!

0 comments: