Apr 21, 2009

Handouts

Although I seem to have trouble staying within my monthly budget, I have noticed that many of the other grad students are able to drop big bucks whenever they want (daily lunch dates, expensive clothes, flat screen tvs, new cars, etc.). And as much as I hate to admit it, it’s very frustrating to see all of the new things they buy all the time, when I have to dip into savings for any extra purchases at all. My poor brain is screaming: How is this possible on a grad student’s budget?! I know my situation is a bit different because I pay entirely too much in rent, but still, we only make about $1,000 a month.

But lately, through random cube conversation, I learned that at least two girls take handouts from their parents. The one girl’s parents give her money each month, and the other’s parents are paying for her new car. I find this so hard to believe. Sure, my parents paid for my rent when I was an undergrad, but we are not only much older now (the one girl is 29!), but we also are receiving an income. There's no reason for that anymore! What do you guys think? Is this normal?

3 comments:

JR Moreau said...

I've asked family members for help in the past in emergencies, but to ask them for dough regularly (especially from my single mom who makes no money at all) wouldn't sit well with me at all.

I think at some point the rewards of boot-strapping need to be experienced rather than having a comfortable existence just given to you.

Interesting post!

Ginger said...

I feel your frustration. I grew up in a very affluent area and all my peers seemed to have much more than me, thanks to mommy and daddy. (My parents never gave me anything)

It's still the same, even in my working life. Most of my colleagues and friends of a similar age are probably getting handouts from their folks in one way or another (or possibly living off credit), whereas I get nothing.

I don't think it should be normal, but I'm afraid that it is an acceptable thing these days. I struggle to make my own way everyday, then come into work to hear a coworker planning her next trip abroad in expensive hotels - and she still lives at home with her parents who pay for everything, including her car. It's ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

I definitely don't agree with handouts, especially when the recipient becomes dependent upon them. I do however enjoy getting gifts from my parents. Over the last 4 months my mom has given me $1,500 to throw at my student loan because she knows I want to get rid of it. Although it is a large sum of money, I don't consider it a handout because I didn't expect it, didn't ask for it, and would have been just fine without it.

I do agree though, nothing more annoying than a spoiled brat that doesn't know what hard work is.